Thai Tom Yum Paste
Tom Yum paste is primarily a base that is used to make Thai Tom Yum soup. But this paste is so yummy and versatile, I have found it makes a fantastic marinade for Thai style grilled chicken or fish too.
I am not a big fan of extremely spicy food so I made this recipe quite mild (it is still hot to me). If you like it very spicy, adjust the amount of chile. In this recipe, I even removed most of the seeds out of chili pods.
Yield: about 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic ..... chopped
- 10g chopped ginger ..... chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass ..... chopped
- 2 or more dried red chile (with or without seeds) ..... chopped
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1/4 onion ..... chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped corriander stem ..... chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
Mix all ingredients together in a food processor and blend it to paste. If you don't have a food processor, you can still make a paste with a mortar and pestle.