Pasta with Anchovies, Currants,
Fennel and Pine Nuts
Recipe from Bon Appetit (September 2008)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 anchovy fillets
1 large onion..... very thinly sliced
1 large fresh fennel bulb ..... trimmed, halved, very thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
2 plum tomatoes..... chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup dried currants
3/4 pound perciatelli (thick hollow spaghetti) or linguine*
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
* I used the special pasta from Italy
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add anchovies; mash with back of fork. Add onion, fennel, and red pepper. Sauté vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pine nuts, and currants. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors; season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite.
3. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Add saffron to reserved liquid and stir to dissolve. Return pasta and saffron water to pot.
3. Add tomato mixture; toss over low heat until sauce coats pasta. Mix in breadcrumbs and transfer to bowl.