Watermelon and Tomatillo Gazpacho
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 watermelon
- 3 garlic cloves ..... minced
- 1 large red onion ..... chopped
- 8 tomatillos ..... remove husk and wash with warm water to remove the stickiness. Diced
- 1 to 2 green chile ..... remove seeds and chopped
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes ..... diced
- 1 bunch basil leaves ..... chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber ..... remove skin and seeded. diced
Cut watermelon into two inch thick wedges, remove the skin. Set a colander over a big bowl and use a fork or your hands to squeeze the watermelon in the colander. After squeezing all the watermelon, take the seeds out and reserve the pulp.
Heat the olive oil in a fry pan. Saute garlic and 2/3 of the red onion until soft. Add tomatillos and green chile and saute few more minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
In the food processor or blender, add watermelon juice and pulp, tomatillo mixture, most of the basil (reserve a small amount for garnish), lime juice, salt and pepper and blend them well. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Add the rest of the red onion and cucumber and chill the soup in the refrigerator for 3 hours or until its cold.
Before serving, garnish with basil leaves and olive oil.