Split Peas, Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Soup
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup split peas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes ..... pealed and diced
- 1 medium onion ..... chopped
- 2 cloves garlic ..... minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger ..... minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 5 cups stock (chicken or veggies)
In a large soup pot, put 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute garlic, ginger and onion in medium heat until onion is translucent.
Add split peas and sweet potatoes and sauteed another minute.
Add cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper then add stock. Bring to boil and turn heat down to low and simmer until sweet potatoes and split peas are tender for 40 minutes. Add some more water if needed while cooking potatoes and peas.
Take out bay leave from the pan. Use a blender to puree the peas and potato mixture and then put puree back to a pan.
Add coconut milk and mix well. Simmer until it whams up. Adjust with salt and pepper if you like.