Corn and Yellow Beets Chowder
Yield: 4 - 5 servings
- 4 slices bacon ..... cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove ..... minced
- 1 shallot ..... minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 russet potato ..... peel and diced into cubes
- 2 medium yellow beets ..... peel and diced in to cubes
- Corn kernels from 3 ears of corns. Reserve the corn cobs (cut in half)
Cook the bacon in a large soup pot until it is crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve the oil in the pan.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan and saute shallots and garlic for a few minutes.
Add flour, salt, pepper and cook for a few more minutes.
Pour the chicken stock and water in the pan and wisk well until all the flour is disolved. Add corn cobs in the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add potato and beets and cook until they are soft. Remove the corn cobs.
Add corn kernels and cook for another 5 minutes.
Test the taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Plate in a bowl and garnish with bacon bits and chopped chives on top.