17 Bean & Barley Salad
Yield: 8 - 10 servings
- 3 cups "Trader Joe's 17 Bean & Barley Soup Mix"
- 2 garlic cloves ..... crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- water or begetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium cucumbers ..... seeded and diced
- 5 small tomatoes ..... seeded and diced
- 1 medium red onion ..... thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet corn (can/frozen/fresh)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves ..... chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves ..... chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves ..... chopped
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
Wash the bean & barley mix and cover with water or stock. Add garlic cloves, bay leaf, thyme and salt and bring it to a boil. Simmer until the beans are tender for 50min - 1 hour.
Remove bay leaf and garlic and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Mix the beans, all vegetables and herbs.
Mix all the ingredients for dressing in a small bowl and pour in the bean and vegetable mixture.
Adjust with salt and pepper as you like and cover with wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Serve with pita bread.