Basic Fresh Pasta Dough
Yield 4 servings as a main course
300 g (10 oz) plain flour or semolina
4 medium eggs or 3 large eggs
30 ml (1 fl oz) olive oil
pinch of salt
1. Mound the flour on a work surface and make a well.
2. Break the eggs into the well and add olive oil and salt. Whisk the eggs with a fork gently and slowly mix with the flour little by little. Blend all the flour, the eggs and oil.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 6 - 8 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Cover the dough with the plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into four portions and shape each into a log.
5. Set the pasta machine at the widest setting and crank the dough through it. Fold it in thirds and feed through again. Continue this process for 10 times. After 10th feeding, don't fold the dough.
6. Reduce the width setting of the machine by one and fee the dough through. Repeat this process until the dough become the desired thickness.
7. Leave the pasta sheet uncovered for 10 minutes if you cut them. If you use the sheet for filled pasta, cover with the kitchen towel until you use.